Friday, September 18, 2009

Lt.jg William Marsh USNR 1921-1945


I know that I have written about William Marsh before, but I wanted to share with you this last letter that William Marsh wrote to his mother on Christmas Day 1944 and the telegram that was received by Genevieve Marsh in 1945.



December 25, 1944

Christmas Morning

Dear Mom,

Feeling a little homesick this morning and thought it might help if I write a letter or two home. It’s only 0930 a.m. but I have been listening to Christmas carols most of the morning. The ship picks up some radio stations on short wave and most all of them have a Christmas program of some sort.

Received mail yesterday evening: the first in over a month. I was certainly surprised to learn of Mr. Mahoney’s death. From the date on your letter it must have happened about the 20th of November 1944.

Margy Mahoney must be pretty broken up as I haven’t received any letters from her, but I did receive a Christmas box that was mailed real early. I haven’t written her yet, as I have been hoping for a letter from her. I must write today or tomorrow even if I don’t get one. I wish I knew what to tell her, even thought it has been over a month since he passed away. I do not like to pass on too much advice as I’m too far away from her, and everything else. I wish I could help some way though. I have often thought of asking her to marry me on my next leave. I can’t bring myself to do it though, as things are really going to be unsettled after the war. I don’t think I’m going to be able to settle down in one place after this is all over. I have been jumping about too much and have become awfully restless.

I would think it a good thing if Margy went out West with Fran for a while though. She would be able to get away from Virginia for a while and it would help her forget. She would also meet a new bunch of friends and see how the West Coast gets along.

Didn’t expect Margy to send me a Christmas package, but I received it yesterday and everyone of the boys helped open the package. She had everything in it, all wrapped in separate little Christmas paper. She sent: Cuticura, Soap, a Dictionary, several kinds of smoking tobacco, Noxzema Cream, Shaving Cream, cigarette lighter, razor blades, tobacco pouch, a good pipe and cleaners and last but not least 3 pair of black socks. She surely boosted my moral coming on Christmas Eve with all those things. Just like Santa Claus.

I received two letters from you yesterday Mom and they helped a lot on the news, but you didn’t say anything about receiving the money order for you and Marge. I hope you got it in time. Let me know what you bought her.

Not being able to send off any mail for the past month I couldn’t wish you a Happy Birthday, but I did remember it once. I hope you had a good time in San Francisco, as I am sure Mary Jean helped you celebrate. Hope I can be with you on the next forty-five.

I will send this letter to Minnesota, as you will probably be home in the first week in January.

Hope you have a very Happy New Year,

Love as always, Bill

***********************************************************************

Genevieve Marsh received the first telegram stating that her son was missing in action on February 6, 1945. She received the final telegram on August 13, 1945. Here is what it said:

I DEEPLY REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT A CAREFUL REVIEW OF ALL FACTS AVAILABLE RELATING TO THE DISAPPEARANCE OF YOUR SON LIEUTENANT (JG) WILLIAM MARSH USNR PREVIOUSLY REPORTED MISSING LEADS TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THERE IS NO HOPE FOR HIS SURVIVAL AND THAT HE LOST HIS LIFE AS RESULT OF ENEMY ACTION ON 4 JANUARY 1945 WHILE IN THE SERVICE OF HIS COUNTRY. IF FURTHER DETAILS ARE RECEIVED THEY WILL BE FORWARDED TO YOU PROMPTLY. TO PREVENT POSSIBLE AID TO OUR ENEMIES PLEASE DO NOT DIVULGE THAT NAME OF HIS SHIP OR STATION UNLESS THE GENERAL CIRCUMSTANCES ARE MADE PUBLIC IN NEW STORIES. SINCEREST SYMPATHY IS EXTENDED TO YOU IN YOUR GREAT LOSS=

VICE ADMIRAL RANDALL JACOBS, CHIEF OF NAVAL PERSONNEL

My Sources are from my database, birth, and death certificates and Military Service Records along with information from cousins in Oregon and Florida.

Copyright © 2009 by Gus J. Marsh

No comments: