Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Family Search Computer Problems

I am very frustrated, and think someone might be in a position to help, at least understand the problem.
The Church [of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints] has digitized and indexed millions of records which is a wonderful thing.
What is not so wonderful is that these names are being bulk merged by computer to existing family lines and more often than not, fouling them up.  I am suddenly finding names attached to my family lines that are in a completely different geographical area than where my family lived, and with dates and other information that is clearly not theirs.
My concern is that information cannot and should not be merged by computer.  I have worked hard and carefully, paying attention to sources etc. and now to have my data corrupted by computer merges is very unsettling.
I wonder if those who okayed this merging are aware of the problems it is causing.

No comments: