Friday, September 25, 2009

Lt.jg William Marsh USNR 1921-1945


This is the second to the last letter that William Marsh wrote home.

Dec 18, 1944, South Pacific

Dear Mom,

Suppose you were wondering what happened to that Navy son. I know it has been awhile since I last wrote, but I am sure you know why. I could not have left the ship even if I had found time to write.

Expect you are in California now. Will you be staying for Christmas, or back to Washington and when do you expect to be leaving for home?

Here it is only seven more days until Christmas. I don’t believe I have given it a thought in the past two weeks. Just can’t realize that it is winter back home.

I am really looking forward to receiving a few letters, as I haven’t had word from you or anyone else for a least a month. Don’t know when this letter will go off either.

Where are Bob and John Sevenich now? Did Bob get back to the states and is John still in England?

Haven’t heard from John Marsh in a long time. Is he still working in Calumet or has he pulled out for Virginia? I hope the later.

Well, mom, it’s hard to find things to write about when no mail comes in and the censor rules forbid anything about our operation or ship life.

By the time you get this it will be 1945. I hope you had a swell Christmas and New Year and hope I can spend next years holiday season at home.

Write soon, Bill

**************************************************************************************
This is the first telegram that Genevieve Marsh received about her missing son William Marsh.

DM1 65 GOVT=WASHINGTON DC 6 124A
MRS GENEVIEVE MARSH 1945 FEB 6 AM 8:05
208 1 ST SOUTH VIRGINIA

THE NAVY DEPARTMENT DEEPLY REGRETS TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR SON LIEUTENANT (JG) WILLIAM MARSH USNR IS MISSING FOLLOWING ACTION WHILE IN THE SERVICE OF HIS COUNTRY. THE DEPARTMENT APPRECIATES YOUR GREAT ANXIETY BUT DETAILS NOT NOW AVAILABLE AND DELAY IN RECEIPT THEREOF MUST NECESSARILY BE EXPECTED. TO PREVENT POSSIBLE AID TO OUR ENEMIES PLEASE DO NOT DIVULGE THE NAME OF HIS SHIP OR STATION=
VICE ADMIRAL RANDALL JACOBS, CHIEF OF NAVAL PERSONNEL.

My Sources are from my database and with information from cousins in Oregon and Florida.
Copyright © 2009 by Gus J. Marsh

No comments: